As the title says this blog is one man’s effort to make sense out of his journey fighting melanoma. I have enjoyed reading some of my fellow melanoma warriors’ blogs and thought it might be an interesting way to share what this journey has been like for me. If you find this interesting great, if not that’s great also. Selfishly this is more about me getting this out and moving on from being a cancer patient to being a cancer survivor.

Let’s clear up a few things. Yes, I know how to use spell check and no I don’t always use it. I majored in accounting, not english. I have always been a below average writer, which is why I find the therapeutic value of doing this surprising. I think for this blog to make any sense you pretty much have to go to the archive and start from the beginning which is titled “Life Is Good”

I am not a doctor or medial professional of any type. My blog is not endorsed by any medical professional or facility mentioned in it. Every decision I have made about my care was done after careful consultation with my medical team. Decisions I have made were right for me but should not in any instance be considered right for anybody else. I don't recommend taking medical advice from an accountant.


Key West

Key West
Sunset

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Love On The Rocks

I have referenced the New Girlfriend (NG) many times during my various posts.  She was simply a blessing who appeared in my life at a time I desperately needed her.   She scared me to be honest and even had a skeptic like me thinking that maybe god does work in mysterious ways and had brought her into my life for a reason.   She is a very loving and caring person who lives life at full throttle.  We really got along well and had so many of the same interest.  We both are cyclist and love being outdoors.  Our children were the same age, both have one granddaughter…  I felt we were perfect together.  She also is an RN who has spent most of her career working in ERs.  After I was diagnosed we talked about how she really should run away but to her credit she didn’t want to.  I really don’t think either of us really thought I was going to end up as sick as I ended up being.  She was there for a lot of my Dr. appointments, and all my surgeries.  Her smiling face was the first thing I saw as I was waking up besides the nurse who was always trying to make me choke down crackers and 7-Up.  She helped me when I got home and cooked for me, cleaned my house, let the dog in and out, ran to the store, managed my meds, changed my dressings, drove me around….  She was wonderful and I could never have made it through without her I don’t think.  Oh and she lives 3 hours away from me and would drive up to see me all the time when she wasn’t working.  She came to spend a weekend with me in New Jersey and we went to NYC and did the tourist thing.  We have a lot of great memories in a short amount of time.  As I was going through my treatments I could tell the strain was getting to her and my inability to really enjoy life during treatment was becoming difficult to manage for her.  I mean why drive three hours to see me sit around and watch me rest, all the while bitching about how shitty I feel.  Not much of a life for her.  A few weeks ago I got my first Dear John via e-mail.  Remember when we use to break up in person so we could at least call each other names as our relationship was ending?  Honestly I have absolutely no hard feelings towards her and I have sent her a link to this blog.  I hope she reads it and laughs and  hell she probably can fill in some gaps for me.  Do I wish our relationship had ended differently?  Of course I do, I felt the e-mail breakup was cold and to be honest I was more hurt by that than anything.  I am sure this was very difficult for her to do.  I told her that if she was my sister or a good friend I would tell her to do the same.  The 5 year mortality rate for somebody with my level of cancer isn’t very promising.  Now I expect to be below the line on the mortality graph I printed off of Cancer.Net, but let’s be honest I may not be.  Why would she want to subject herself to this over somebody she has just met?  I tell myself that the closer we became the harder it was for her to stay with me, fearing what may be coming.  That’s how I make sense out of it anyway.  The truth is most likely something simpler.  This can be my revenge on her, a picture of her stuffing her face with BBQ during the Tour De BBQ.  If I can find the picture of her standing next to the naked cowboy in Times Square I will post it next.


2 comments:

  1. So sorry. I am about to start Intereron and my wife admitted that she is worried she won't deal with it very well. I found your blog to see how others handled it and this isn't good. I'll keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jarom

      Good luck wiht treatments. If you have any questions or if I can help in any way feel free to reach out. Email me at P_Hummel@msn.com or find me on Facebook. I know people who have made 12 months on Interferon. It can be done. FWIW I had lunch with this lady last week and had a wonder afternoon with her. Life keeps marching forward my friend. To Me Lance summed it up best when he said what other choice is there, we can give up or we can fight like hell. i don't know about you but I choose to fight like hell.

      Delete