As the title says this blog is one man’s effort to make sense out of his journey fighting melanoma. I have enjoyed reading some of my fellow melanoma warriors’ blogs and thought it might be an interesting way to share what this journey has been like for me. If you find this interesting great, if not that’s great also. Selfishly this is more about me getting this out and moving on from being a cancer patient to being a cancer survivor.

Let’s clear up a few things. Yes, I know how to use spell check and no I don’t always use it. I majored in accounting, not english. I have always been a below average writer, which is why I find the therapeutic value of doing this surprising. I think for this blog to make any sense you pretty much have to go to the archive and start from the beginning which is titled “Life Is Good”

I am not a doctor or medial professional of any type. My blog is not endorsed by any medical professional or facility mentioned in it. Every decision I have made about my care was done after careful consultation with my medical team. Decisions I have made were right for me but should not in any instance be considered right for anybody else. I don't recommend taking medical advice from an accountant.

Key West

Key West

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Birthday Recap and Doctor Frustration

Thanks again for all the birthday wishes.  For many years I have hated birthdays.  Getting older seemed so overrated.  Well after the year I have had I loved turning a year older and 47 sounded great.  In fact I can’t wait to turn 50 in a few years.  I am feeling a good kegger coming on.  Seriously the new perspective on life I have gained this last year has been the most valuable thing to come out of this battle.  An old family friend posted on my wall this week that her husband Roy who has been fighting a battle of his own says that happy birthday is a victory song for cancer survivors.  I couldn’t agree more.  Monday night the 13th I went to have dinner with my Sister and brother in law and my three nephews were also there along with my youngest daughter Sara.  I love being an uncle and was so glad to see them.  On my birthday my girls and I went out to dinner and then came back to the house for cake.  The girls were wonderful and my granddaughter made me a card that is proudly displayed on the refrigerator.  I swear she has grown a foot since I had seen her last. 

I have been home all week and it’s my first full week at home since the second week of April.  It is so nice to spend some time with my girls and sleep in my own bed for a week.  I have put about 100 miles on the bike this week which has felt great.  I really wish I could ride while I am in Jersey.  I also spent the week out at the plant where I have worked for the last 11 years before I started on the project.   It is always nice to go back to the plant and see everybody but it has been over a year since I have worked there and feel a little out of place when I am there.  I spend the majority of my time working in Princeton and am really out of touch with what is going on at the plant. 

It was a frustrating week on the medical front.  I had an appointment to see my surgeon to get a look at the PET scan I had done a few weeks ago and the small area that looked questionable.   Dr. D told me on my last visit that he would call him personally and get a copy of my scan to him so he could review it.  Well I get to my appointment and Dr. M has no idea why I am there.  I almost always carry my file with me which has all my test results in it.  I don’t have a copy of my last PET scan for some reason and it’s the only test I don’t have a copy of.  Dr. D wasn’t in the office yet and it wouldn’t have mattered since the PET scan is not something they can fax over.   He is going to get a copy and review it and call me he said.  I was frustrated with myself for not following up with my oncologist office to make sure they had sent the test over and for not having a copy of it with me.  I am a big believer in being a proactive and involved patient and blamed myself as much as anything.  Anyway, I spent a $40 co pay to flirt with the pretty nurse and visit with Dr. M.  Not the best way to spend my time.
I plan to spend today with my girls before having to fly back to New Jersey tonight for two straight weeks.  I am planning to spend next weekend in New York but really don’t have any plans yet.   I think I am going to rent a bike on Saturday and see the city that way for the day and then Sunday either go see the Yankees play the Rockies or one of the million museums I haven’t seen yet.   It’s always hard to pick what to do when I am in New York.