As the title says this blog is one man’s effort to make sense out of his journey fighting melanoma. I have enjoyed reading some of my fellow melanoma warriors’ blogs and thought it might be an interesting way to share what this journey has been like for me. If you find this interesting great, if not that’s great also. Selfishly this is more about me getting this out and moving on from being a cancer patient to being a cancer survivor.

Let’s clear up a few things. Yes, I know how to use spell check and no I don’t always use it. I majored in accounting, not english. I have always been a below average writer, which is why I find the therapeutic value of doing this surprising. I think for this blog to make any sense you pretty much have to go to the archive and start from the beginning which is titled “Life Is Good”

I am not a doctor or medial professional of any type. My blog is not endorsed by any medical professional or facility mentioned in it. Every decision I have made about my care was done after careful consultation with my medical team. Decisions I have made were right for me but should not in any instance be considered right for anybody else. I don't recommend taking medical advice from an accountant.


Key West

Key West
Sunset

Monday, September 20, 2010

Meet The Oncologist

The next few weeks seemed to fly by and a lot was happening, and I was still traveling for work.  My Oncologist is Dr. D. He is a great guy and very patient with me.  I don’t care if I ask him 100 questions he takes his time and is always willing to spend as much time with me as I want and I never feel like he is trying to run me out of his office.  I would go home and Google all these melanoma studies and treatments.  On my next visit I would ask him questions about what I had read and we have had some great discussions and I have always felt he was direct and honest with me about my situation.  On my first visit he scheduled me for my first PET scan and told me that this was very important as it would show if the cancer had spread to any of my body organs.  The worse part of the PET scan is the shot you get beforehand.  The tech who gives you the shot is wearing a led apron and special gloves and a face shield.  The syringe is encased in led to limit the radiation exposure for all involved.  I think it is ironic that the tech dressed in led, takes the syringe encased in led, and shoots this crap into my veins.  Just seems wrong.  They made me sit in a dark room for an hour I think while this stuff worked through my system and then do the PET scan which although boring not much of an event.  A week later I saw Dr. Davidners number on my caller id.  I answered it and immediately knew it was good news.  He sounded really chipper and happy and gave me the good news that there was no sign of cancer having spread to any of my vital organs.  It wasn’t until I got off the phone that I thought of why he sounded so happy.  Here is a guy who has to give people the worse news imaginable every day.  I could tell he enjoyed giving me good news god knows I enjoyed hearing it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment